Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2006 20:59:08 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Merging X11BASE to LOCALBASE

--=-vXnUkPb6KdD2btcT7iMS

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 19:56 -0500, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 04:48:39PM -0700, Fred Cox wrote:
> > Those man pages for whatis are pretty radically
> > different in size.  Maybe they are mergeable, but
> > there's going to be a fair amount of work doing that
> > for all possible conflicts.
>=20
> They are generated files see makewhatis(1).  There will probably be a
> few real conflicts, but it's unlikely to be a serious issue.

It may be more serious than you think.  Currently, GNOME and KDE will
conflict with each other if this move happens.  We will have to either
come up with a new pseudo-port to handle common files, or find some
other way of consolidating things.

That said, GNOME's move to LOCALBASE will not be too problematic.  In
fact, the number of required patches might drop off.  I'd be willing to
bet that if someone did X11BASE=3D${LOCALBASE} and installed GNOME on a
clean machine right now, it would work.

Joe

--=20

--=-vXnUkPb6KdD2btcT7iMS