Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 11:28:20 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        techsupport@nordicdms.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT RAID controller support

Dave Walton wrote:

> This brings to mind something that's been puzzling me about RAID.
> Whenever someone posts a question here about what RAID controllers
> are supported, the standard answer is "DPT".  Now, by my
> understanding, the way those are set up is something like this:

[ Discussion of host-based versus SCSI-to-SCSI RAID deleted ]

I've seen many variations on this discussion, and I must admit that I don't
know the "correct" answer - if there is one.

For the other side of the argument, see:
  http://www.dpt.com/hstvscsi.htm

They (obviously) promote a host-based solution.  The two arguments they give
in favour of this are, in summary:

* Host-based is manageable from the host (or remotely, if the host is
  networked).
* Host-based is faster.

The second argument might be very valid in certain configurations.  (Then
again, RAID is not really about speed, but abour redundancy.)  The first
argument, however good it may be, is not really applicable to DPT controllers
under FreeBSD at present, since StorageManager has not been ported (not even
to Linux - I'm not sure about BSD/OS).

On the other hand, a DPT controller and a DPT casing form a good all-in-one
product, which in a sense offers a single point of failure.  I would like to
hear the experiences of anyone who has done SCSI-to-SCSI RAID under
FreeBSD...?

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878