Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 02:07:40 +0000
From:      Alex <ak@freenet.co.uk>
To:        Phil Regnauld <regnauld@ftf.net>
Cc:        "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>, Darren Wiebe <dkwiebe@heartland.ab.ca>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMware on FreeBSD (Full Screen)

OK - just for the record - full-screen works!

Currently in graphics modes only, until something is done to make
FreeBSD consoles aware of Linux-compatible ioctl's that VMware uses to
switch into a text mode.

As far as I understand, VMware uses the following scheme:

1) Standard mode

If the guest system is in text mode, VMware emulates it as graphics in a
640x480 X window.   Otherwise (graphics mode), it adjusts the size of
the X window to the resolution used by the guest OS (which is usually
640x480 unless special drivers are used - see below).

2) Full-screen mode

If the guest OS is in graphics mode, VMware uses DGA extensions of the X
server to go full screen.  If the resolution used by the OS is less than
that of the X server, it centers it in the middle of the screen.   For a
true full-screen effect, the guest OS must use the same resolution (and
colour depth) as X.

If the guest OS is in text mode (e.g. 80x25), VMware tries to use the
following trick:  initialize the next available console (tty8) to use
the same text mode as the guest OS.   This part is Linux-specific and
doesn't work under FreeBSD.  It doesn't even work under Linux if the
kernel is compiled with framebuffer support.   Hopefully, the missing
ioctl's shouldn't be hard to implement, but I don't have a Linux box
handy to give it a go.

So far, I have been able to run Solaris 7, Corel Linux and Windows 98
under VMware/FreeBSD.   VMware.com has some drivers for Windows, Linux
and FreeBSD to enable them to run inside VMware at higher resolutions
than standard VGA (nothing for Solaris).  Windows looks really cool in
full-screen mode (1024x768 on my laptop); it's almost impossible to tell
the difference between a VM session and the real thing, except that
under VMware it freezes for a few seconds every now and again,
apparently due to lack of /dev/rtc.   VMware actually displayed a
warning about /dev/rtc and that it only seems to affect Windoze systems.

Now for vmnet...   Vladimir?

Alex