Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2012 00:17:03 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?utf-8?B?0JHQvtGA0LjRgSDQodCw0LzQvtGA0L7QtNC+0LI=?= <bsam@passap.ru>
Cc:        hrs@FreeBSD.org, romain@FreeBSD.org, Ports FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: huge distfiles policy

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 05:22:36PM +0400, =D0=91=D0=BE=D1=80=D0=B8=D1=81 =
=D0=A1=D0=B0=D0=BC=D0=BE=D1=80=D0=BE=D0=B4=D0=BE=D0=B2 wrote:
> Hi All,
>=20
> I'm about to commit print/texlive ports (PR/171571). One of it's ports
> (print/texlive-texmf) has size approx. 1.4 Gb.
>=20
> What is the current policy upon huge ports? Should I restrict someting
> to not build at, say, pointyhat? Something else?
>=20
> Thanks!

Hi,

First I want to say I really want to see texlive in and our old teTex going=
 out
and I appreciate all the work that are going on in the area recently.

I have two concerns about this, first one is I would hate to see texlive has
restricted to avoided to be build as a package because:

1/ people would love to just be able to install the package
2/ lots of ports are currently depending on teTex and if teTex is replaced =
by
texlive which it should that means we will not anymore be able to provide
packages for those packages, I don't have the complete list but I think this
will impact at least kde and gnome.

My second concern was discussed when Dominic Fandrey called for testing this
port: at least 2 people have been working on texlive with different approac=
h:
hrs and romain.

In particular Romain and I discussed on merging texlive to the ports tree b=
ased
on http://code.google.com/p/freebsd-texlive/ he has been contacted some com=
pany
to mirror the splitted distfiles for us, and was suppose to resumer his wor=
k on
this when back from vacations which should be the case now given that he has
done some commit last week :D

I CCed both hrs and romain so they can give their opinion and the status of
their work.

Thanks all for your work on texlive!

regards,
Bapt