Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2006 06:40:52 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        t.blum@home.nl
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.3 Raid1 (geom) configuration problem with multiple partitions

On 10/02/06 05:52, t.blum@home.nl wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I recently switched using FreeBSD on my server (used Linux before). I've a problem with configuring geom as raid1 for my two identical hd's. I started with installing a FreeBSD 6.3 on my ad0 disk. The install uses 1 slice with the default FreeBSD partition table:
>
> ad0s1a (root)
> ad0s1b (swap)
> ad0s1d (var)
> ad0s1e (tmp)
> ad0s1f (usr)
>
> Everything is working and at this point I started configuring geom with help of this: http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/.  tutorial (approach1). The following commands worked like a charm (second disk is ad3):
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad3 bs=512 count=79
> gmirror label -v -n -b round-robin gm0 /dev/ad3

So far, you've created a mirror (gm0) with one device in it (ad3).

> gmirror load fdisk -v -B -I /dev/mirror/gm0

I think you meant:

gmirror load
fdisk -v -B -I /dev/mirror/gm0

> bsdlabel -w -B /dev/mirror/gm0s1
> bsdlabel -e /dev/mirror/gm0s1

So now you've told bsdlabel to create a default label, and install
bootstrap.  Then you've edited the label, but we aren't sure how.  You
should send the bsdlabel output here for us to look at.

> But when I look at /dev/mirror/ it only created 2 partitions, gm0s1a and gm0s1c so the following commands:
>
> newfs -U /dev/mirror/gm0s1*
> mount /dev/mirror/gm0s1* /mnt/*
>
> Will not work for gm0s1d (var) gm0s1e (tmp) and gm0s1f (usr). Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Well, I think what you really are wanting, is to mirror your ad0 disk to
ad3.  In that case, I think you want to make ad0 the first device in the
gm0 mirror, and make ad3 the second.  Then, you'd need to change your
fstab entries, and add geom_mirror_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf so it
would be recognized on boot.

Eric