Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 16:03:25 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
Subject:   Re: stray irq 7

>Today while printing I got this error message on root console:
>
>Jul  3 20:02:16 casimirhost /kernel: stray irq 7
>Jul  3 20:02:16 casimirhost /kernel: stray irq 7
<snip>

I had this mysterious message pop up 3 times within a one hour period last
week on my 4.0 machine at home. Then 2 days later it popped up once on my
server at work. Both machines have different hardware, so it's not a common
hardware fault. Besides these two incidences, I've never seen it before or
since in 2 years of using FreeBSD...

A check of the mailing list archive shows that people have been experiencing
these stray irq 7's for at least the past 3 years, and no one really knows
what causes them. Apparently, the error message is generated when a system
gets an IRQ 7, but no handler actually services it. Some people (me, for
one) have printers active on IRQ 7, others don't...

It's a classic case of gremlins in the works...but in any case, appears to
be benign.

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor