Date:      Tue, 02 Mar 1999 09:11:20 -0800
From:      Donald Acton <acton@opentext.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How much RAM for 3.1-RELEASE?

I too had problems installing 3.1 on a machine with only 8MB of memory. I was
doing an NFS install. The point at which the machine hung during the
installation (i.e. once it had started copying files to the disk) varied
wildly from nearly right away to almost finished. I eventually installed 3.1
by moving the disk to another system and installing from there. With the new
system installed everything worked fine when the disk was moved back to the
old machine. Since the machine in question is a 33MHz 486SX machine I
attributed the problem to something to do with the floating point emulation
since that part of the system had given me grief in the past. Based on the
comments in the LINT kernel configuration file, and messages in this
newsgroup, I built a kernel for this machine that uses the GPL-licensed
emulator taken from Linux and have been running that kernel for the past week
and a half without problems.

Donald Acton
acton@opentext.com