Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 14:35:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        navell@ix.netcom.com (FRED BENS)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Copying files to DOS partitions ?

> I have installed BSD version 2.1 and am able to read the data stored on
> an 8mm tape in tar format. I need to pass the data to a dos filesystem
> where it can be processed and sent to a tester via a Pathworks network
> to a VAX. Copying the files to the DOS formatted partition via :
> "cp filename /dev/sd0s2" seems to be executing but the DOS programs do
> not see the data . In fact ,it wipes out the known dos files on the
> partition. I have used LINUX to do this sucessfully but I have had
> other problems with it using the tar command with the same 8mm tape
> drive. I have run out of ideas on what to try next and would appreciate
> any assistance you can offer.

You need to copy to the mounted FS, not the raw device!  You are
overwriting the first part of the disk, up to the file length!

Alternately, if your OS doesn't support mounting DOS partitions (ie:
it isn't FreeBSD or similar), then you need to get a copy of "mtools"
and compile it for your system.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---