Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:03:51 -0700
From:      "William Lloyd" <wlloyd@slap.net>
To:        <freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <wlloyd@slap.net>
Subject:   Ultra 5 problems

Ok, I did a dumb thing.

Despite knowing better I assumed that the Ultra 5 series machines had
standard PC serial ports on the back.  No problem, pull out my laplink
cable, plug it into serial port b, setenv in the Openboot and reboot.

Now I can't get back onto the thing.  It's booting for console on serial b I
assume but the kernel crashes.  That was the original reason to switch the
console to serial so I could capture the boot error and post it to the
group.  I did a make buildworld yesterday and it worked fine.  kernel has
some error with setrootbyname failed.  This is all with latest -current
cvsup from yesterday.

Anyway, not really a problem if I can get console back!

Plugging back in keyboard etc doesn't seem to work.  Turn power on while
holding Stop-A does nothing.  I can't seem to get
serial b actually working.  Problably requires a crossover on the Tx-Rx.

I've triend all the varients of plugging and unplugging, keyboard, video,
serial but none of them have worked so far.

I find jumpers on the mobo for switching between RS422 and RS-232.  No
mention in searching the internet which serial port that applies to.
Desfault is RS-422.  Must be ttyb I'm thinking now.  Why does sun use a
female DB25 for a serial port?

What the deal.  How do I get back my regular console.

-bill
wlloyd@slap.net