Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 22:49:41 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at (Hr.Ladavac)
Subject:   Re: Hi again: PD optical drives

(Moved to freebsd-scsi, seems more appropriate.)

As Hr.Ladavac wrote:

> > I've got an MO drive working with the `od' driver, in case this is
> > what you mean.
>
> A relatively new "Phase Change" technology.  Somewhat similar to MO, but
> not quite - a rewritable purely optical.
>
> `od' driver could be interesting as a start, but these things combine
> a SCSI CD-ROM reader on one LUN, and a Removable Media on another
> (not at the same time, though.)

Ah, ok.

We're still in need for a good design of how to share the CD-ROM
driver with the WORM driver (since all CD-R devices constitute a
superclass of CD-ROM).  So we should try to find a good way how to
arrange for this functionality.

Basically, a `pd' driver would be nothing else than an `od' driver on
LUN 0, and a `cd' driver on LUN 1.  The only specific code would be
the driver probe.

--
cheers, J"org