Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:14:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      "brian j. peterson" <rbw@myplace.org>
To:        ynishimura@home.nimc.go.jp
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SRM of Digital personal workstation can only works just with  matrox ?

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 ynishimura@home.nimc.go.jp wrote:

# SRM of Digital personal workstation can only works just with matrox ?
#
# I tried to install FreeBSD4.0/Alpha into Digitalpersonal workstation600a.
# I tried  changing AlphaBios to srm. At bootin,itsaid "illeagal device on slot 5"
#
# It was the display card "powerstorm" that has been working with windows/NT4.0.
#
# I  changed it with Mach64(rage128?), Number9 GXE64pro and so on, but the boot
#       failed.
#
# My friend said that srm for it can work only withmatrox.
#
# Is that true?

(i'm using an AlphaStation 200 4/233, but i believe it to be sufficiently
similar to the PW series that what i am about to say applies.  also note
that i'm not a developer... just a user who has had his own troubles with
getting video cards to work on an alpha.)

it isn't true.

i know from personal experiece that ATI Mach64-based, Number Nine
T2R-based, and Nvidia TNT-based PCI cards don't work.  i have had Matrox-
and 3DLabs Permedia2-based PCI cards working in my alpha at different
times.

based on what i have read:
 -S3 Virge-based cards will work.
 -the powerstorm (which is an S3 Trio64-based card) SHOULD work
  considering DEC marketed and sold them for use with alphas (see
  http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/tru64-unix-managers/9611/msg00489.html
  for more info).

it is unclear to me whether the the GXE64pro (which is an S3 Vision
964-based card) will work or not.

can you get ANY card to work on this box currently?  (even matrox?)

-brian