Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2003 01:24:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Domain Administrator <domainadmin@3tec.com>
To:        freebsd-question@FreeBSD.ORG, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Multiple Internet connection with failover/load-balancing

Hello all,

We've been offering commercial Internet failover/load-balancing products
to our clients, but we occasionally receive requests by some clients
to provide less costly solution.  While full redundancy for both
inbound and outbound traffic will require BGP or OSPF, these clients
simply wish to join multiple Internet connections (DSL, ISDN or T1) from
different providers to gain failover capability should one of their
links failed.  Without ISPs' support, this type of redundancy only applies
to outbound traffic, but that will suffice the clients' requirements
already.

I searched through the mailing lists and forums but found only very
limited resources on how to accomplish such gateway/firewall setup using
FreeBSD (or other BSD).  It seeems for this type of setup requires
running of multiple NAT daemons.  Has anyone done something like this? or
point me to any HOW-TOs?

Thank you all for your input.

Mike