Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 13:59:12 +0200 (EET)
From:      Igor Karpov <freebsd@vicotec.kiev.ua>
To:        Michael Ryan <mike@NetworX.ie>
Cc:        FreeBSD Support <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dfilter in iijppp

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry, but I'm reading the mail coming to freebsd@ from time to time
and I've read your letter today only. The point is that freebsd@ is
just pseudo-account to keep the FreeBSD mailing lists to review
occasionally. I didn't think (sorry!) that you may answer me; my Re:
was too short for you to answer. But yesterday I noticed a funny thing,
which may have relation to subject; this is the second reason. The first
one is that I think that every directly addressed  mail should be
answered.
As far as I can see, you have a possibility to prevent ppp from
dialing on every DNS query. I didn't understand you, 'cos I did it myself
_before_ and already forgot the problems with this. The answer is to set
up a little nameserver. I even have no static IP and real (non-UUCP)
domain name - it works anyway. Of course, you have to be running named...
The most useful in doing this was a chapter from Greg Lehey's "Complete
FreeBSD Book", describing DNS (I don't exactly know if this book already
completed, but could mail this chapter directly to you).

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Michael Ryan wrote:

> Hi Igor,
>
> On Tue, 28 Oct 1997 10:58:51 +0200 (EET) Pseudo-user collecting FreeBSD mailing
> lists. wrote:
>
> > >From /usr/local/squid/etc/squid.conf:
> >
> > "If you want to disable DNS tests, do not comment out or delete this list.
> > Instead use the -D command line option"
> >
> > It works for me.
>
> My understanding of "dns_testnames" is it's how Squid determines if there's
> a path to the Internet or not.  On my machine, I've simply set this to the
> localhost "dns_testnames localhost".  That' fine, but it's not what I was
> talking about.
>
> My problem is that for Squid to actually go out there and retrieve pages,
> the first thing it'll do is generate a DNS query on the host name of the
> web site.  Unless DNS is permitted in the dfilter rule set, this will not
> trigger the ppp dial-up,

Now the funny thing I promised. Yesterday I've found that my iijppp
completely ignores dfilter rules 4-7 (I watched it by tcpdump -nv and in
ppp.log after set log +TCP/IP).
I don't know yet what's the deal, maybe ppp-971125 doesn't want to work
with 2.2.1-RELEASE or that's my mistake (I've been playing with filters
yesterday). When I'll find out the reason, can let you know if this is
actual for you.

Here's parts of my ppp.conf:

#
# Don't keep Alive with ICMP,DNS and RIP packet
#
   set afilter 0 deny icmp
   set afilter 1 deny udp src eq 53
   set afilter 2 deny udp dst eq 53
   set afilter 3 deny udp src eq 520
   set afilter 4 deny udp dst eq 520
   set afilter 5 permit 0/0 0/0
#
# Don't dial with ICMP packet
#
   set dfilter 0 deny icmp
   set dfilter 1 permit 0/0 0/0
   set dfilter 2 deny tcp dst eq 4321
   set dfilter 3 deny tcp dst eq 550
#
# Don't dial with DNS packet
#
   set dfilter 4 deny tcp dst eq 53
   set dfilter 5 deny tcp src eq 53
   set dfilter 6 deny udp dst eq 53
   set dfilter 7 deny udp src eq 53

[-snip-]

#
# If none of above rules matches, then packet is blockd.
#

> so Squid will fail, saying that the host isn't
> reachable (because the IP address couldn't be ascertained).  Therefore,
> it seems to me that DNS -must- be permitted in the dfilter ruleset.
>
> My problem with this is that, now, -every- service will, in effect, cause
> the dial-up to occur, because almost every service will first of all
> generate a DNS query (just like Squid).
>
> See what I mean?
>

> Bye,
> Mike
> <mike@NetworX.ie>
> ---

Regards,
Igor.
"Virus is a small freeware utility, which helps users to get rid of their
obsolete files."