Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 18:21:00 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   SMP and system loads

Do I need to do anything more than:

# Required:
options         SMP
options         APIC_IO

...to get SMP working?

I just stuffed the drives from a 4.1 system that had been running on a
PII233 system with 96MB of RAM into a system with dual PII400s & 256MB
RAM.  I rebuilt my kernel with the above options in my config file.

The previous system had been averaging about 45% CPU utilization, most
of it coming from mrtg monitoring a longish list of devices.  After
running most of the day on the SMP-enabled kernel, the load average
doesn't seem to have changed any.

Now I realize that mrtg is mostly a perl script and isn't multithreaded,
but given the fact that I'm running two CPUs, shouldn't the overall load
average be no more than half of what it was?  I'm doing same units of
work but have twice as much CPU available for doing them.

I get output when I run mptable and when I run top I can see active
processes get scheduled on different CPUs, and dmesg reports

SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!

...so I'm fairly certain I'm actually running SMP..

What kind of clue am I missing?