Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 2006 22:10:12 +0200
From:      Thierry Thomas <thierry@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BEWARE upgrading Horde System

Le Dim  9 avr 06 à 10:03:35 +0200, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org>
 écrivait :
> Actually, I think you've done a fine job ... my *only* beef is arbitrarily
> moving aside of the config files that I've already configured ... if I
> download a horde package, and untar that over top of my existing setup, to
> upgrade, *it* doesn't do it ... and if I use CVS to update from the
> anoncvs server, it doesn't remove my config files ... the FreeBSD port
> shouldn't either ...

There are two main possibilities:

1- the current one: you get an almost running webmail after the initial
installation; the installed config files are pre-configured with the
variables set in the ports Makefile and according to the installed
dependencies. When upgrading, your modified config files are saved, and
a new config is installed. Then you have to merge your setup within the
new files (there is no mergemaster: I use gvimdiff, and I'm sure that
any decent $EDITOR provides such a tool). You have to do that only for
your modified files (those saved as .previous).

2- the port does not pre-install config files, but only the .dist files
as samples. As you write, this is the method provided by the Horde
project when you install manually directly from the tarball. During the
initial configuration, the OP must

     cd config/
     for f in *.dist; do cp $f `basename $f .dist`; done

for each Horde module. Since these files are not installed by the port,
they are not deinstalled, and they are still ready when you reinstall.
And your installation may run or not... To be secure, you have to
compare your configured files with the new .dist files, and merge the
new options into your files. You have to check all config files, even
the ones that you kept unmodified.

I had choosen the first method, because I thought it was easier for the
OP this way, and I think that a port should do better than a manual
installation.

Regards,
--
Th. Thomas.