Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 17:39:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        andy@voyager.clara.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing problem

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Andy Kirkham wrote:
> can anyone help with a routing problem i have. Basically i have a
> multi-homed host with an inet router one side (the default router) and
> modem pool and the other side is internal services. OK, so the
> problem...
>
> i am using static routing at the moment. rc.conf has this in it...
>
> defaultrouter = "194.164.132.1"  ; Inet router
> static_router = "a"
> route_a = "194.164.132.192/26 194.164.132.4 1"

Looks to me like your ISP gave you a /26 and you're trying to use that
for both your internal net and the gateway.  Doesn't work that
way.

Give us a diagram of your net with addresses for the router and
everything outside of the /26 subnet.

You're probably best off running the internal net on RFC1918 addresses
and using natd to translate the subnet addresses to the private
addresses and vice versa.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com