Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 08:47:40 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Daylight Saving Time woes (Europe)

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 02:58:14PM +0200, Toomas Aas wrote:

[...]
> My situation is even more interesting. I'm based in Estonia, where we
> did not have DST past couple of years. This spring our government
> decided to have DST again.
>
> Couple of days ago, since I was not sure what the tzsetup thinks of our
> situation, I ran it and chose 'Europe/Finland'. It asked me if the
> abbreviation 'EET' looks correct. Since I didn't know why it wouldn't,
> I chose 'Yes'. So I assume my box should now be in Finnish timezone.
> Finland has had DST all the time, AFAIK.
>
> Still my FreeBSD machine did not apply DST automatically. I also moved
> the clock forward manually.

Looks like your timezone files haven't been updated to reflect this
new policy. What you have to do is to look at:

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/share/zoneinfo/

and see whether any updates relevant to your country have been made. If
you find it, you can download it and update your /usr/src/share/zoneinfo
and recompile the timezone files. If it's not there, you'll have to find
out the Daylight Savings changeover rules, and then either:

    1. send-pr the rules and hope that someone applies and make the
       changes to the timezone files.
    2. make the changes yourself to the relevant timezone file and
       recompile it. You should also send-pr the fixes in.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>