Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 13:51:33 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5

[Bcc to -committers and -multimedia]

> Subject: any plans for soundriver or bktr?

since amancio and I have been working a lot on both bktr and audio in
the last months I feel entitled to comment on this.

* bktr:

  there are several, slightly different versions of the code, all of
  them pretty robust, tested and supported. [there are minor
  differences in the versions, e.g. I have rewritten the code for the
  dma engine, someone else might have added some ioctls, etc., but
  basically they all work fine] Since the driver was not
  there before, it works quite well, and is well supported, I'd strongly
  suggest to include one driver (ask amancio which ones he feels more
  comfortable with) in 2.2.5, just do not put it into the generic
  kernel (and the reason is not stability, the reason is that attaching
  the card eats a lot of memory for the frame buffer).

  Also we should make a port of fxtv, and update vic drivers.
  (also, fxtv is probably a small program; does people agree that for
  each driver there ought to be, in the standard distribution, at least
  one small program to test the driver ? If this is the case, fxtv
  could go into /usr/bin)

* sounddriver

  here things are messy: the current driver (3.0) is not well supported;
  amancio has put a lot of work in a 3.5 derivative, and works with
  many more cards than the 3.0 I think. Applications should work at
  least as with the past driver.
  My brand new driver only does pcm right now, although I have it
  working in full duplex with vat, nas, and with most if not all
  half-duplex apps, including rplay and timidity [the latter converts a
  midi file to pcm data, so you basically do not need opl3/opl4
  support, if you have some cpu cycles to spare].
  In 1 month I don't think I have the time to make it support all
  the boards I would like to.

  So my suggestion is:
  - ask amancio if he feels like replacing the current sound driver with
    his version of guspnpXX, which has basically the same features (and
    probably fewer bugs) than the currently committed one;
  - put my driver (and guxpnpXX as well, if amancio does not feel like
    replacing the current code for 2.2.5) in the "experimental" part of
    the tree.

	Cheers
	Luigi