Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 1996 11:27:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        proff@suburbia.net (Julian Assange)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: still no response

> +Lines starting with '/' in the configuration file are special directives to
> +.Nm inetd .
> +At present the following directives are supported:
> +.Bd -literal
> +/bind	iface1|ANY...iface_n	bind following service entries to
> +				these interfaces
> +/bind+	iface1...iface_n	as above, but add specified ifaces to
> +				the previous bind list
> +.Ed
> +.Pp
> +If the iface name begins with "<", then the iface name is treated
> +as a file with interface addresses listed as the first word per line.
> +If the iface name is multi-homed in the DNS, then all addresses belonging
> +to that iface name will be bound.

Some notes on the "inetd.conf" "bind" changes...

1)	Why not add an "-i" option to inetd ans start multiple inetd's?
	Clearly, the intent of the "<" syntax is to have seperate conf
	files per bound interface.

2)	Why introduce state?  Since a configuration for a single
	interface can span several pages of data, this is confusing.
	Did you consider an "interface:service" instead of "service"
	syntax instead?  A single strtok() call could find the ':'.

3)	Why are you binding by network number (or host name, which will
	be translated to network number and may in fact fail if this is
	run on a multi-homed host)?  If you bound by interface name
	instead, it would be unambiguous...

4)	Support for virtual hosting in inetd has already been implemented
	by Van Jacobsen (last I heard)... any reason to not use his code
	instead?  I believe it requires the ability to determine the
	interface following an accept before the spawn via an ioctl()
	on the socket...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---