Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 17:44:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        Brian Wang <brian@vividnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NCR0+IBM DORS-32160 WA0A 2 gigs HD - assertion "cp" failed

Brian Wang writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > 	I have just put a new mail/dns server online, which has the
 > following configuration:
 >
 > FreeBSD 2.1.5 Release
 > P75 CPU + ASUSTPN4 MB (Triton I with 256k pipeline cache)
 > 32 megs non-edo RAM
 > 3COM 509 ethernet card
 > Trident PCI video card
 > ASUS SC200 SCSI card (ncr)
 > IBM DORS-32160 2 gigs HD
 >
 > 	I am getting some messages via dmesg complainting about assertion
 > "cp" failed.  The server runs fine, and does seem to operate quiet normal
 > except from these errors coming from "ncr.c" (error outputs included at
 > the end of this email). Should I just start replacing the SCSI subsystem?

 > sd0(ncr0:6:0): COMMAND FAILED (4 28) @f0b65a00.
 > assertion "cp" failed: file "../../pci/ncr.c", line 5563

Oh well, the DORS shows that kind of problem ?

How often do these messages occur ?

Please try with Tagged Command Queueing disabled:

# ncrcontrol -s tags=0

and let me know, whether that fixes the problem.

I'll have a 53c875 + DORS drive soon, since I want
to use these devices as the base for the reworking
of the NCR driver (addition of Ultra-SCSI support).

Up to now, I always choose devices that did not
fail, and it seems that the DORS is finally a drive
that I can expect to show errors on my development
system, giving me a chance to understand why a modern
drive does not work correctly with tags ...

Regards, STefan