Date:      14 Oct 1998 18:59:18 -0700
From:      cgd@netbsd.org (Chris G. Demetriou)
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley-185-114.res.iastate.edu>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel traps on boot..

David Greenman <dg@root.com> writes:
> >Just doing printfs for broken kernel code only encourages laziness.
>
>    Well, that might be fine for a developer, but it sure doesn't help end
> users. We *are* trying to provide a production system after all. :-)

If code is sufficiently untested that it randomly runs into unaligned
accesses, then by definition, it isn't a production-quality system and
you don't need to worry about panic()ing.

However, if it _is_ well tested, "production quality," and still runs
into that unaligned access, then that unaligned access is probably
indicative of a somewhat-serious bug.  It means either that code is
getting a bogus value because of specification/implementation "issue,"
or that something, somewhere got corrupted, and therefore the system
lost.

To have such bugs fixed properly, in many cases, a developer will need
to know more about the context in which it occurred than just the fact
that it occurred, the PC, and a few registers.  That means panic,
followed by kernel core dump (or invocation of kernel debugger, or
whatever), which then gets handed by the user of the production system
to a developer, who debugs it.

In my opinion, it's not only bad, but _irresponsible_ to let the
system bumble on in the face of such a bug.  High uptime is nice, but
if it comes at the cost of ignoring serious system errors or
corrupting data, it's worthless.

cgd