Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 09:32:33 -0800
From:      Boris <koester@x-itec.de>
To:        Bert Driehuis <driehuis@playbeing.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[4]: GRRRRRRRRR COMPILER ERRORS

Hello Bert,

BD> On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Boris wrote:

BD> Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I never ever try to do two things at the
BD> same time. If you're updating your kernel to an unreleased version, you
BD> should expect breakage, so replacing the kernel with an untested one is
BD> asking for trouble.

hm, ok.

BD> If your complaint boils down to "I expect CVSup to produce a perfectly
BD> running system and I'm disappointed", then you are absolutely right (and
BD> also very unrealistic). The people that develop the updates to FreeBSD
BD> stable are most likely not ISDN users, and if you CVSup you run the risk

Ahh, i have understand! ok no problem. I thought that a stable commit
is tested first by quality-assurance people (?). Hm, however i like to
see whatīs going on with freebsd so i like to update the sources
nearly daily -) It is a motivation to me if i am developing my litte
progs.

BD> of encountering breakage. In the greater scheme of things, ISDN is not a
BD> central part of FreeBSD, because relatively few people have ISDN (as
BD> much as FreeBSD is not the life focus of the ISDN4BSD developers --

Aaaah ok!

BD> First of all, you should consider getting a test system if you want to
BD> run untested combinations of software. Blaming FreeBSD for the problems

not FreeBSD, i4b -) I love FreeBSD

BD> you had because you inadvertantly blew away a working system is not the
BD> right thing to do.

*ggg yes  this was my first complete failure on a production server
hihi.

BD> Second, not keeping a copy of a working kernel on your root partition is
BD> asking for trouble.

I had a working kernel, but the system was not working anymore after
build world. When the trouble begans, i had bsd 4.1.1, updated the
sources to the latest cvs, make world (works), i4b patch .. tried to
compile the kernel.. after the i4b patch.. BANG -) The old 4.1.1
kernel was alyways available but i had no access to anything anymore
after rebooting. Iīve got access denied, the only thing i could do is
to log in, thatīs all.

Ok iīm sorry for my reaction, it was my first real failure of a very
important server and i have never expected this on a stable-branch.
Now i know whatīs up and i had a chance to understand why sometimes
something is wrong. I will try to get it up and running on my
developer server first, before updating a netserver and i have learned
to write a backup-script with all neccessary content i need for the
next failure *gggg. Another person said to build a GENERIC kernel
FIRST, a very good idea. So i will make a GENERIC kernel first after
make world, then i try to get my configuration up and running.

Thanks to all the people for helping me!

--
Best regards,
 Boris                            mailto:koester@x-itec.de