Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 1995 17:12:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jc@irbs.com (John Capo)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Slice errors

> I have a -current system with 3 Conner CP30200 SCSI drives.  I have
> been using a C/H/S geometry of XXX/8/256 since Rodney mentioned
> this as the optimum geometry for SCSI disks and ufs.  Prior to that
> I used XXX/64/32 as reported by the Adaptec controller.

My 8/256 optimizations no longer apply, this has been fixed in other
ways and I would suggest now that you go back to the standard adaptec
xxx/64/32 translation.  Since 8*256 == 64*32 this should not effect
your disklabel in any way.

> With the new slice scheme I get this error for all drives:
>
>     sd0: raw partition size != slice size
>     sd0: start 0, end 416107, size 416108
>     sd0c: start 0, end 413695, size 413696
>
> The capacity reported for these drives is 416108 blocks. It appears
> to be complaining that the slice is 416108 blocks but partition c
> is only 413696 blocks.  Ok, I'll make the c partition == 416108,
> who cares.  Disklabel says, partition c extends past end of unit
> and does not write the label.  There are no DOS partitions on these
> Conner drives, 100% FreeBSD.

This drive should be translated into 203/64/32, c: should be 415744 blocks
You will loose 364 blocks due to cylinder bondaries.

> All of my partitions end on cylinder boundaries due to bad experiences
> in the past.  Do I have to use the bogus geometry reorted by the
> drive and rework all of my labels for this message to go away?
>
> I have another system with a 1Gig SCSI disk that has a DOS partiton
> and a FreeBSD partition.  The physical disk is larger than my c
> partition but I do not get any error messages.  The capacity of this
> disk is 2031705 blocks.
>
>     sd0s1: start 32, end = 409599, size 409568: OK
>     sd0s2: start 409600, end = 2031615, size 1622016: OK
>
> FreeBSD fdisk continues to report bogus partitions.  I had to
> partition the disk several times with pfdisk.exe before I could
> get the new slice stuff to work properly.  I know that this is not
> what is on the disk.
>
> The data for partition 0 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 1 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 2 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 3 is:
> sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
>     start 0, size 50000 (24 Meg), flag 80
> 	beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 0;
> 	end: cyl 1023/ sector 63/ head 255

Use fdisk -u to correct the partition table so that size==size of
your BSD c or d partition and things should be fine.  What you see
above is the bogus partition table that gets installed if you install
new boot blocks.

Your final fdisk output should look something like this:

******* Working on device /dev/rsd0d *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=203 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

 Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=203 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 0 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 1 is: