Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 20:21:45 CDT
From:      Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ELF library questions (building and linking)

Building an ELF library questions:

  I have been trying to rebuild a few of the libraries that I use to
be in elf format.  Is the following the correct way to build an elf library?

  for every file:
    cc -c -fpic file.c
    ld -o shared/file.o -x -r file.o

  cc -shared -Wl,-x -o libA.so.1 -Wl,-soname,libA.so.1 `lorder file1 file2 ... | tsort`

  Does `ld -shared ...` not work correctly any longer?  When I used
`ld -shared ...` to build a shared library and `ar` to build an archive
in the same directory, the linker seemed to prefer to link to the archive
instead of the shared library.

  Mush ELF libraries have a name of the form libName.so.version or
can try be of the form libName.so.version.reversion?

Linking to an ELF library question:

  I seem to remember there being an environment variable that could be
set that held a search path for the linker.  Setting this variable was
like adding a -L<path> flag to the link line.  Is such a thing still
available?  Mainly I would like to avoid adding "-L/usr/X11/lib" to
a bunch of Makefiles.

  Thanks.

---
Kent Vander Velden