Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:21:07 +0000
From:      Chris Stenton <jacs@gnome.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   startx /dev/mem problem

I have just put on a clean 4.2-stable and freebsd 4 installation onto a machine
and am unable to start X  via the startx command as an ordinary user. I get
the following error

(==) ModulePath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
(WW) checkDevMem: failed to open /dev/mem (Permission denied)
        linear framebuffer access unavailable

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Server must be suid root

The kerne security level is set to -1. I have not had this problem on a
machine I have upgraded to the same configuration. Any ideas?

Chris