Date:      Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:07:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   data corruption with 16GB RAM

Hey folks,

I haven't spent much time isolating this yet, but last night I upgraded a
Tyan S2881 machine from 2GB to 16GB and later discovered that any data
written to the disk was getting written corrupted.  I did a cvsup &
buildworld and the buildworld died pretty quickly on a mangled dir panic.
The files that fsck relocated on the ensuing reboot were the ones updated
by cvsup.

I still need to boot SuSE to verify if this is a problem with FreeBSD or
the memory configuration, but I was curious if anyone else had experienced
this. It appears under -CURRENT and 5.4RC1 (tried reinstalling after the
disk got mulched and it panicked trying to install perl).

Machine spec:

Tyan S2881
16GB PC2700  (former memory was 2GB PC3200)
2 WD disks attached to the onboard SiI3112

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org