Date:      	Sat, 16 Dec 1995 16:24:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Macintosh filesystem features

On Sat, 16 Dec 1995, Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:

> I was reflecting about a featute that the MacOS has and which
> I did not see on other OSs:
>
> The DATA and the RESOURCE fork.
>
> I don't know if this is patented
> and why it has not been adopted by other filesystems.
> Not even in Win95 (though this doesn't actually say much :)
> you can find this feature. At least I believe it is not possible
> to add an arbitrary resource to an arbitrary file (like a bitmap).
> (One can link an .rbj to an .exe, though but that's all)
> At most to a certain extension like .doc to Word files and so on.

  I think Apple probably regrets this "feature", because:

  - Most files, have a resource fork and an empty data fork
(executables), or a data fork and an empty resource fork (documents),
rendering the distinction rather pointless.  (The only exception that I
can think of, is Nisus, which saves document text in the data fork, and
formatting in the resource fork)

  - Makes file transfers to other systems difficult

> What I'm asking myself (and file system experts) if this
> could be implemented in FreeBSD, perhaps as an addition/extension
> to the existing filesystems.
>
> When designing GUIs, window managers and such it would be nice if this
> resource/data dualism would be hidden rather than having sort of
> container files or other methods like .hidden files or files
> starting with special characters (%).

  Shouldn't these things be stuffed into the executable file?  On Macs,
all code and resources is stuffed into the resource fork of the
executable anyways, and the data fork is empty.

Tom