Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2013 09:16:34 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        Mark R V Murray <mark@grondar.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: always load aesni or load it when cpu supports it

Mark Murray wrote this message on Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 11:38 +0100:

> On 20 Oct 2013, at 08:00, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com> wrote:
>
> > Comments?  Suggestions or ideas?
>
> I'd love to have this - /dev/random would be a lot more efficient.

Though we don't have a common interface for this...  This was one of
the issues I raised w/ the PEFS patch that was brought up recently...

If you want to use the OpenCrypto kernel frame work, then things will
work...  If you need a lower overhead interface, then you'll have to
do a lot of wrapping of the code, or copy it, which is worse...

The other question now to ask, should we make AES a first class kernel
interface and bypass the OpenCrypto framework?  Or complete the work
pjd did to make the OpenCrypto framework more effecient?

It does look like we already have a good number of consumers for
crypto/rijndael: geom_bde, ipsec, random and wlan_ccmp...  Which
also means that they aren't making use of AES accelerator cards...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579