Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 2021 01:36:07 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
To:        Peter <pmc@citylink.dinoex.sub.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 12.3: vt driver does not provide virtual console terminals

05.12.2021 1:20, Peter wrote:

>   the (current default) vt console driver does not provide multiple
> virtual terminals on VGA console (no KMS). Only one console terminal
> is accessible. The others are present, they can be switched to with
> Alt-Fn, but they provide no I/O and are just black.
>
> When reverting to the sc console driver, the virtual terminals are
> working as expected. (But without UTF-8 hardly useable.)

JFYI: the sc(4) driver supports UTF-8 since 8.0-RELEASE.

A set of kernel options is required:

options SC_PIXEL_MODE
options VESA
options TEKEN_XTERM
options TEKEN_UTF8

And optionally for /boot/device.hints:

hint.sc.0.flags="0x180"		# switch to graphics mode at boot time
hint.sc.0.vesa_mode="0x1F0"	# preferred framebuffer video mode code

And the port sysutils/jfbterm to render fonts.