Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:32:33 +0200
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDT WinChip?

At 13:20 29.10.99 +0200, you wrote:
>Is anybody successfully running an IDT WinChip in an old Pentium board?
>
>Configuration:
>CPU:   IDT "WinChip" W2A-233
>Board: Asus P55TP4N, BIOS rev. 0302 (latest)
>OS:    FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT (Oct 26), "cpu I586_CPU"
>
>Problem:
>The system crashes very quickly on its way to multi-user or soon
>thereafter. "Page fault while in kernel mode". Crashes seem to
>relate to disk activity, and occur typically in file system related
>calls such as open(). No overheating. The same system is solid with
>a Intel Pentium-100 CPU.

HI!

Well, I ran the old version of the C6 with 180 Mhz in an crappy
PCChips-Board 3 months under Windoze NTwithout any probs  The chips should
have been certified also under several Unices for operation.
Also the Asus board is know for some stability, I also put together some
boxes with that board.
Thermal issues are non-important (at least the old Winchip was able to run
2*50 MHZ=3D100 MHz) without any cooler without probs...
It is imaginable that some power-saving code in -current does not work
properly with the IDTs
Or that the bus speed is too high and out  of spec. (some series needed to
do 75*3, like Cyrix)
Possibly other problem could be the 1st level cache, which is a bit bigger
and different organized than that from a Intel chip.

Regards
Olaf Hoyer

P.S. Private Mail in german welcome...
Olaf Hoyer   ICQ: 22838075       mailto: Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
home: www.nightfire.de (The home of the burning CPU)

Wer mit Ungeheuern k=E4mpft, mag zusehn,=20
da=DF er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird.
Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund=20
auch in dich hinein.
(Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und B=F6se)