Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 22:08:19 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        neill rr <robalama@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports Problems

On Sun, Apr 18, 1999 at 01:42:21PM -0700, neill rr wrote:
> Hello again,

Hello. I suggest that you set your mailer to format lines to <=70
chars. It makes reading messages easier, even with multiple levels
of quoting.

> On 3.1-Release I have attempted to install a few ports and have
> had great success until this past weekend.  After successfully
> installing Mutt, when I try to run it this is what I get:
>
> myname# mutt &
> [1] 6391
> myname#
> [1]  + Suspended (tty output)        mutt
> myname#

Why are you trying to run mutt in the background? I've just tried
it and it screws up (doesn't get suspended though). mutt will run
in the window you start it from so needs to be in the foreground.
Only use ``&'' for progs that open their own window.

> and of course nothing happens.
>
> Another port is wmcdplay-1.0b1.  It also installed successfully
> but this is the error.
>
> myname# wmcdplay &
> [2] 6392
> myname# wmcdplay : Unable to open cdrom device '/dev/cdrom'.
>
> [2]    Done                          wmcdplay
> myname#
>
> I went into the /dev dirictory and looked for associated files
> for this problem.  I have almost everything there, and even after
> running throught "The Complete FreeBSD" I dont see anything that
> has "cdrom" (the whole string) for my Creative IDE drive.

I'm not familiar with wmcdplay, but this appears to be the same
problem as I had with kscd (the KDE CD player). It seems use
/dev/cdrom as the default device for the CD. Check the man page
for wmcdplay, there may be a command line option to override it.
If not, then you can always symlink /dev/cdrom to your actual CD
device (possibly /dev/wcd0, check dmesg to find out).

> x11amp is reacting wierd also.  I just successfully installed it
> and this is what happens when I attempt to run it:
>
> myname# x11amp &
> x11amp: Command not found.
> [1] 13407
> [1]    Exit 1                        x11amp
> myname#

The binary is not in your PATH.

> and this happens even when I am in the /usr/local/bin/ directory.

Even if you type ``./x11amp''? /usr/local/bin/x11amp does exist?