Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 14:14:06 +0100 (MET)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
Cc:        USB BSD list <usb-bsd@makelist.com>
Subject:   Re: MODERATE -- luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it wants to post a message to usb-bsd (fwd)

 > one thing that would really need work is SCANNER support.
 >
 > Currently in FreeBSD we have support for the following:
 >  + SCSI through the generic interface;
 >  + some handheld scanners through specific device drivers (gsc,asc)
 > but the vast majority of flatbed scanners out there are parallel-port
 > and now slowly moving to USB. For the former, there is no standard that
 > i am aware of, and manufacturers are collaborative as usual...
 >
 > I just hope that USB will also bring together a standardized way to
 > access devices so we don't have to get crazy with proprietary command
 > sequences (I am not so optimistic, the only area where I have seen this
 > happening is SCSI & ATAPI storage devices...)

I see a future, in which Luigi has a place, spending his time on general
interfaces...

One option would be, like the mouse driver, design a sysmouse/sysscan
device driver and make every driver look the same. If you want to use
the specific features, use a program that uses specific features.

I would appreciate it if you could step in and get the folks who wrote
the SCSI scanner and handheld scanner device drivers together and get
something going.

Cheers,

Nick
--
ISIS/STA, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy