Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 2016 02:13:54 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        swjatoslaw gerus <milstar2@eml.cc>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can not read with ls -lsar but loader work Re: performed- Fwd: 2-Fwd: You have made error ...#### dd if=FreeBSD-11-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img of=/dev/sdb1 bs=1M  conv=sync

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 01:50:13 +0100, swjatoslaw gerus wrote:
> can not read with ls -lsar but loader  work

Of course not. As I did already explain, the target USB stick
now contains 4 GPT partitions, one of them is UFS, and it needs
to be mounted properly (not as "msdos", not as "pcfs") and
with the precaution of the -o ro option (read-only) if you
wanted to look at it. However, this is not _needed_ to make
the system boot with it.

> in 1 attempt some 2 days before in version
> 11.0  bs=1m sdb1  -invalid argument

Wrong target device, wrong unit suffix.

> 2 attempt  11.0 bs=1048576  sdb1 dd succes but can not start

Wrong target device.

> 3 attempt( 11 as in your  suggest from multiple author) -file not exist

Which file did not exist? Please be more specific.

> 4 attempt 11.0 bs=1048576  sdb1 dd succes can not see with ls -lsar
> after
>    mount in /mnt  ... can see with more

Of course you cannot, as explained. YOu did write the image's
content (which is designed to cover a whole device, not a
partition) into a partition that still had the FAT32 type
attribute, and it was therefore empty because the image
is not in FAT32 format. I'd even go so far to say that
it probably isn't even possible to mount a partition
that fdisk says is of _type_ FAT32 but doesn't have the
corresponding _content_ FAT32.

Again, the mount + ls step is _not needed_ at all. It's
just a _possible_ check to verify that the image has
been written correctly, but it doesn't enable (or affect)
the USB stick's ability to boot.

Also, the use of fdisk is not needed because the image
already contains boot code and partitioning data for the
FreeBSD installer.

> poweroff
> plug in
> poweron
> loader started asked about auto/manual  partion

Excellent - _this_ is what the installer is supposed to do!
Now you can start the installation into a free partition
of the hard disk. As I mentioned earlier, there is no need
to assign or format the space where FreeBSD should be installed
into. Just leave it unassigned, empty - the installer will
take care of all steps needed.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany