Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 00:56:46 +0100
From:      "Andre Goeree" <abgoeree@uwnet.nl>
To:        "Albert Everett, Web International Inc." <aeverett@webintl.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: schg'd file that won't let go...

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 04:54:25PM -0600, Albert Everett, Web International Inc. wrote:
> I'm tracking 4.2-stable on a Dell 450MHz PC.
>
> I've never been able to get X to start up on this machine, getting a
> KDENABIO error (or something close to it - I'm typing from memory).
>
> Anyway, I tried to make/install XFree86-4 from ports last night. Now X
> still doesn't work and also my installworlds have started breaking.

What doesn't work? If X doesn't start but breaks with an error
(im typing this from memory too) it's probably because you didn't
install ports/x11/wrapper or are not using xdm(1).

> make installworld (in single user mode) breaks when trying to install a new
> version of /usr/lib/libscrypt.so.2 from /usr/src. I've tried deleting,
> moving etc but can't. This file will not even yield to chflags. Everything
> I try gets "operation not permitted." Same logged in as root or in
> single-user.

Are you running in one of the "secure modes"? That would cause
problems when changing flags, or installing world.
What does "sysctl -a|grep secure" say? if you want to install
world it has to be:

ago@mandark$ sysctl  -a |grep secure
kern.securelevel: -1
(or maybe 1 would work too, but no higher)

> Right now the only option I see to get things back on track with this
> server is to start over from the 4.2 cd and forget about X.

No, please don't do that. There's, with a little patience perhaps,
a lot better solution. There are lots of people on this list willing
to help you out :-)

> Actually, while I'm irritated about it, I might as well point out that on
> every machine I've installed FreeBSD on, I've never had an easy time
> getting X to work. But I really like cvsup and the ports, so I continue
> with it.
>
> Any advice out there?

Don't get irritated, get to the source of the problem
that's  my best advise :-) probably you have some reading
about X to catch up with too...

IMHO, you should continue using FreeBSD. AFAIK it's the
best free OS and i tried a lot of them, YMMV.

Cheers.
--Andre.