Date:      Fri, 13 May 2022 14:55:43 +0100
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pfsense and the Trigkey Green G1 mini-computer

On 13/05/2022 14:21, Tom Browder wrote:
>>> Can you or anyone else recommend a suitable micro-computer that I can
>>> install FreeBSD on to run OPNsense?
>> As others have remarked, you just install OPNsense, it's FreeBSD
>> modified to install with routing/firewall capabilities and an easy(-ish)
>> config system from the start.
>
> Got it--same way as Pfsense.
>
>> As you already have the Trig G1 you ought to be able to use it *if* you
>> can find a way into its BIOS. What have you tried so far?
>
> I tried a couple of times changing the boot device and never was able
> to get past a Windows boot. (Note I was trying to boot off a USB DVD
> and DVD was one of the boot options in the BIOS.) I'm returning it to
> Amazon and looking for something else.
>
> That search sounds like a good idea, thanks. I did find what seems
> like a better choice: Qotom-Q330G4. Much better documentation, too.
> I'm looking at 8 Gb RAM and 128 Gb SSD. Is that too much?

That looks pretty good (it's similar to the Kettop box I've got), and
the ethernet interfaces are Intel which is a better choice than Realtek.

In the past I've run routers with only 2GB of memory and never seen more
than about 50% memory usage, but it all depends on how heavy the traffic
will be and how many services you might want to run beside the basic
firewall.

OPNsense docs say 4GB of memory and 40GB of SSD is reasonable, 8GB +
120GB will handle all but the most extreme uses. This is the relevant
page if you haven't found it

https://docs.opnsense.org/manual/hardware.html

--
All network cabling aspires to the condition of macramé.