Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:03:39 -0500
From:      Tom Pusateri <pusateri@juniper.net>
To:        q@fan.net.au (Q)
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, ulf@alameda.net, Ryan Dewalt <rdewalt@meridianksi.com>, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Creative Labs DVD Dxr2

In message <Pine.BSF.4.02.9903112340560.20916-100000@gromit.fan.net.au> you wri
te:
>On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
>I am currently doing research into the likelyhood of completing support
>for the Dxr2 card (ie. researching required information not code hacking).
>From what I have discovered, all the components used on the Dxr2 board
>have downloadable documentation except one. The ZiVA-DS DVD decoder chip,
>this is the brains of the board and without technical information about
>the chip it looks unlikely that FreeBSD support will be possible.
>
>From what I can gather, the Dxr2 board is based on the Auravision
>Universal DVD card, with only a couple of components differing slightly.
>Auravision sell a development kit to manufacturers that includes windows
>drivers. Unfortunately, to get the ZiVA-DS documentation and source code
>you still need to speak directly to C-Cube. Who only give it out at their
>discression. So it seems to be a well kept secret.
>
>I have tried to contact C-Cube through various channels in an attempt to
>obtain information about the ZiVA-DS chipset but have hit dead ends every
>time. Anyone inside the US is encouraged to persue this. Being in
>Australia has made things difficult.
>
>I have also seen a couple of reports from Linux developers that C-Cube
>have refused to give them programming information because it is
>"proprietry" and not for public distribution.

I may be way off base here but I would rather see efforts focused
towards products from companies that show more cooperation. If FreeBSD
and Linux users find that certain brands are supported because
the company was cooperative, then this is what the users will buy.

If the company doesn't want to cooperate, boycott it and find one
that will cooperate. I think there are enough non-windows users
out there that we can take this attitude.

Just my $0.02. (Not trying to start a war. ;-)

Tom