Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2006 12:57:25 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing disks via their serial numbers.

On Friday 07 July 2006 04:20, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 10:36:07AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> > On Tuesday 27 June 2006 16:11, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> > > On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 06:43:19PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> > > I wrote this twice already in this thread, but let me write it again.
> > > File systems are not the whole world. For example. I've a disk ad0.
> > > I configured gbde(4) on top of it. I create file system on top of
> > > ad0.bde. Now, let's assume I implemented shrinkfs(8) as you suggested,
> > > how can I shrink gbde(4) provider?
> >
> > If you want a label you should label it before gbde(4).  This is similar
> > the fact that you can't retroactively add a gmirror under the gbde slice
> > either.
>
> That's right. And this is how I do it. Unfortunately this is not always
> the case. First of all, sysinstall doesn't have support for configuring
> things like gbde/gmirror (which of course can be changed) or you may
> simply not expect that you will need labels on your disks when you
> install the system...

If you want to label a filesystem that should be part of the filesystem's
metadata.  If you want to label a region of the disk it seems sensible that
one has to label it before putting other stuff into it.  Either that or the
label's belong in the geom that manages the region you are trying to label
(i.e. geom_mbr would manage labels for mbr slices).

--
John Baldwin