Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 11:45:40 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
Cc:        Andre Albsmeier <andre@akademie3000.de>, Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ccd with other filesystems

On Sunday,  1 October 2000 at  4:09:37 +0200, Karsten W. Rohrbach wrote:
> Andre Albsmeier(andre@akademie3000.de)@Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 04:28:46PM +0200:

>>> I really don't understand what this is supposed to mean.
>>
>> Could this mean that you should not use the 'c' partitions as ccd
>> components? I, for example, use the 'a' partitions which start at
>> sector 16...
>
> the 'a' partition is reserved for the rootfs, as 'b' is for swap and
> 'c' for the whole device.  you should use 'e' and p for payload
> (eg. mounted filesystems)

None of the partitions is special except for 'c'.  By convention we
put root file systems on 'a' and swap on 'b', but nothing relies on
this convention.

> i dont quite know why it is still possible doing a newfs on a 'c'
> partition, since the partition type is 'unused' and not
> '4.2BSD'. newfs should check this and throw an error while providing
> an expert-only-feature command line option to explicitly override
> it.

I think this is a bug in newfs.  It should only create file systems on
partitions of type 4.2BSD.  Does anybody disagree?  Otherwise I'll fix
it.

> it is a bad thing[tm] to be able to wedge every single blockdev in your
> system by (ab)using newfs.

Agreed.

Greg