Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:14:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      Metod Kozelj <metod.kozelj@rzs-hm.si>
To:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Speed negotiation

Hello,

I'm new at this list, so if my question (below) has been answered before,
please point me to the right article in the archive.

My problem is, that I have some external SCSI device (one is a Phillips
CD-R, other is a HP SureStore DDS2 DAT), that want to communicate with
controller at 10MHz. I only have passive termination (resistors), which
are (according to the HP DAT manual) only good up to 7,5MHz. I've tried
the two devices on two different machines and both get upset when
communicating with the device.

Is there a possibility to pass the AIC7xxx driver an option to set maximum
speed for certain SCSI IDs?

Combination:
- AlphaPC164 with AHA-2940UW, HD IBM DCAS-34330W, running RH Linux 5.0,
  stock kernel 2.0.36. The machine locks hard, when for example I issue
  command 'mt -f /dev/nst0 status'

- HP Netserver LC 5/100 with AIC7770 (EISA on board), HD Fujitsu
  MAB3045SP,  running Slackware 3.1, stock kernel 2.0.36. The SCSI
  controller is twin-channel, HD on intenal chan, DAT on external.
  The machine stops responding when I try to transfer larger amount of
  data from HD to DAT (eg: 'tar -cvf /dev/nst0 /'). It resumes
  working, if I switch off the DAT. In syslog there are plenty of messages
  about SCSI timeouts.

The same DAT works fine, if it's connected to internal, narrow, connector
of AHA-2940UW but locks the machine, if connected to internal wide
connector with 68<-->50 adapter.

I'm successfully using a Conner DDS1 DAT (communicates with controller at
5MHz) on both machines.

Regards,
  Metod

Metod Kozelj