Date:      Thu, 30 May 1996 14:05:02 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua, questions@freebsd.org, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mysterious crashes of FreeBSD gateway -- caugh it(?)

Hi again,

#
# As Andrew V. Stesin wrote...
#
# > When doing a massive TCP transfers to the 1.1.5-connected subnet,
# > or even ping -f, a high network load was inspired on a gateway
# > machine (receive a packet -- forvard it -- send redirect).
# > NE2000 worked fine, but NCR driver started to through messages
# > about I/O errors, "NCR dead", etc.  Then gateway rebooted itself.
# >
# > 	What I want to ask.
# >
# > What might be the source of that trouble? Poor motherboard quality, when
# > an overloaded (?! is it an overload?) either ISA or PCI bus forces NCR
# > to go asleep?  Or is it a bug in TCP/IP stack or IPfilter, or
# > their interraction with NCR driver, tickled
# > with the nessesity to process IP/ICMP packets at a very high rate?
#
# > I strongly suspect a hardware problem, but maybe there are other
# > opinions?
#
# I have also seen this happen with a SCSI device that was not 'liked'
# by the ncr driver. After changing the firmware of the _device_ (a tape)
# the problem went away.

	I doubt here. Another (similar SCSI hardware) box is rock solid
	with the same configuration of NCR and Conner drive.
	The two differences between boxes are: 1) motherboards,
	2) gateway has IPfilter inside.

	Is it possible, for example, that a complex set of filtering
	rules are processed at a high priority in the kernel while
	packets are

"accepted"-"filtered on input"-"forvarded"-"filtered on output"-"output" ?

	and for the time of processing packets NCR interrupts are
	missed? (I don't know much about the things like splnet() etc. :(
	for a pity. Where can I read about them, BTW?)

# A 'dead' ncr is a perfectly acceptable reason for the system to reboot
# itself (at least it was on mine).

	Definitely.

# I admit this does not correlate well with your ethernet board swapping,
# but it is another datapoint on 'dead' ncrs
#
# Wilko
#  |   / o / /  _   Wilko Bulte             email: wilko@yedi.iaf.nl
#  |/|/ / / /( (_)  Private FreeBSD site  - Arnhem - The Netherlands
#

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560

	"You may delegate authority, but not responsibility."
					Frank's Management Rule #1.