Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 21:38:09 +0100
From:      "Ron Klinkien" <ron@zappa.demon.nl>
To:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Got diskless Sun booting from FreeBSD server...

Thanks to Ian Dowse and Patrick Gardella i got my SPARCclassic
booting and running as a nice Xterminal server.

------ cut ---
>And a message I got from Ian Dowse said:

>I think sometime around 3.0, the networking code in FreeBSD stopped
>responding to IP broadcasts where the 'zero' subnet broadcast address,
>which in your case is 209.9.69.0.

>We currently work around this on some 3.x machines by adding an alias
>address (which can be anything, even not in the same subnet) that has
>a broadcast address of our subnet zero address. Try something like:

>ifconfig fxp0 inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 209.9.69.0 alias

>Maybe the old behaviour of responding to the subnet zero address should
>be available via a sysctl?

--- cut ---

Among a lot of other things the bug above stopped my kernel from booting...

The ifconfig workaround solved that..

All works ok now...

I start this manually to keep my Sun booting:

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig xl0 inet 10.0.0.1 broadcast 192.168.1.0 alias
bootparamd
xdm -config /xsun/usr/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config
xfs

Thanks all.

Ron.