Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 01:53:03 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Underclocking (Was: Overclocking)

In list.freebsd-hardware Greg Shenaut wrote:
 > I'm wondering if it might be possible to *underclock*
 > a CPU chip in order to increase its reliability, especially
 > under hot conditions.  Has anyone tried this?  I'm running
 > out of 386-based motherboards to use as remote server/router
 > boxes.

I'm running a P5-100 at 90 MHz, so it doesn't need a fan
(just a passive heatsink, which gets only slightly warm).
I did this because I wanted the box to not produce _any_
noise (it's an MPEG audio player).

Regards
   Oliver

PS:  If anyone is interested in details:
http://fromme.com/project/
(It's not 100% up-to-date though.)

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18-61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany