Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 22:51:07 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.chuckr.org>
Cc:        David Bushong <david@bushong.net>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, andreas.klemm.ak@bayer-ag.de
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 21960

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 06:19:22 -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > > Nice paperweight.
> >
> > What version of FreeBSD are y'all (David, Chuck and Andreas) using?
> >
> > Two folks in this thread have said they're using -stable, and have
> > problems.
> >
> > Justin made a couple of rather large changes to the ahc driver in July, but
> > hasn't merged them to -stable yet.
> >
> > Have any of you tried -current?  (I'd recommend something before the SMP
> > merge, and I wouldn't recommend it if you've got a production box.)
>
> Maybe you shouldn't read too much into that one report, Ken.  I have a
> different set of symptoms.  I can talk to the drive (the IBM 18G
> Ultra160), my problem is that I can't coax it into booting.  Anything
> short of booting (disklabelling, newfs'ing, mounting, running as a
> secondary drive) works fine.  I do happen to run current, tho.

Hmm, that's strange indeed.  You're right, you likely have a different
problem.

> I'm not even really sure it's the controller ... it could be the IBM
> drive, but this seems to be the only thing I can do.  What with all the
> other reported problems (and all the stuff I've tried), I don't see I have
> another option.  It's the uncertainty of it that kinda gripes me, I could
> well be wasting more cash on the Tekram.

Have you sent mail directly to Justin?  If he hasn't responded to your
questions here on the -scsi list, mail him directly.

> If you have another Ultra160 drive, and you want to verify things, I
> wouldn't mind sending the 29160 to you.  It doesn't seem to be helping me
> any right now.

Justin would likely be able to do more with it than I, and he probably
already has as many 29160s as he wants.  It could be there's a problem with
yours, though.  In that case, it might do some good to send it to him to
look at.

Anyway, try asking him, he may have a clue about what might be going on.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org