Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 1995 11:42:41 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey <jhs@freebsd.org>" <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal to change name of this list to a less embarrassing one

> To: Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@freebsd.org>
> From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>

>  but the almost overwhelming concensus right now seems to
> be "leave it alone" and so I believe we will.

Strange, I had got the impression it was about 50 / 50 !
  ( I'd even been thinking it might be worth asking core to consider
  calling for a vote on a name change in perhaps a week, after anyone away had
  had time to catch up on mail (no rush about this after all :-) )

> hackers@freebsd.org it stays,

obviously we'd need a sizeable majority for a change

> I see no reason why that someone couldn't just
> create a local gateway to the mailing list using a different name.

Well, that person would have to have a site that was OK to be flooded by mail,
& had high availability, & it could confuse things.

How about if we added to freebsd.org:/etc/aliases :
	something: hackers

Then those of us who find `hackers' an embarassment of a name could use
`something' & it'd all still be neatly tied into the main site

PS I guess we'd need a hook for majordomo too.

Julian S