Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 15:21:34 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        Kevin Weiss <kevin.weiss@mail.utexas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xdm and painting the root window

On Sun, Apr 18, 1999 at 03:11:12PM -0500, Kevin Weiss wrote:

> I want to change the background login screen (root window).  I checked

> I also saw reference to using "xv" to do this. However, it wasn't
> clear (to me) how to use "xv" with graphical file. Does the graphical
> file have to be in a certain format (*.bmp, *.jpg, *.gif)? In my case,
> it's a *.gif file.

I do this:

xv -rmode 5 -maxpect -quit -random `find -L /home/gsutter/docs/graphics/background/ -name "[A-Za-z0-9]*" -print` &

and toss that in my .xinitrc file. You can also make it an alias or just
toss it in ~/bin or something. I call it as "chbg", which is very easy
to type one-handed as long as you're not using a split keyboard.

You don't have to have a directory tree full of files, either. You could
just use xv to display any graphic. Cut out the -random and the entire
find command and add a filename.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                   Heisenberg might have been here.
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com