Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2012 03:29:22 +0000
From:      Scott Long <scottl@netflix.com>
To:        David Magda <dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Netflix's New Peering Appliance Uses FreeBSD

On Jun 5, 2012, at 6:42 PM, David Magda wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2012, at 20:16, Scott Long wrote:
>=20
>> If you have any questions, let me know or follow the information links o=
n the
>> OpenConnect web site.
>=20
> Out of curiosity, given that Linux seems popular in so many other places =
(Google, Facebook), is there any particular reason why FreeBSD was chosen f=
or this?
>=20
> I'm sure Linux is used in many other places (much of Netflix's IT infrast=
ructure is on Amazon IIRC), so I'm kind of surprised that they went with Fr=
eeBSD when they probably already have so much knowledge with Linux.
>=20
>=20

Linux works wonderfully on EC2 for our C&C and computational tasks, FreeBSD=
 is proving to work well on deployed hardware for serving bits.  It highly =
maintainable, and there's an excellent community supporting it.  From the w=
ebsite:

For the operating system, we use FreeBSD <http://www.freebsd.org/>; version
9.0. This was selected for its balance of stability and features, a strong
development community and staff expertise. We will contribute changes we
make as part of our project to the community through the FreeBSD committers
on our team.