Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:44:18 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        P Glenn <psfglenn@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail and dialup connection

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 03:22:42PM -0700, P Glenn wrote:
> Hello,
> I am running a recent 4.3-stable and things have been
> good to me but I would like to know what I must change
> in sendmailconf to allow me to send mail to the
> internet from my dynamically addressed ip.

Well, you can always have your Sendmail forward all outgoing mail to your
ISP's mail gateway, by setting the SMART_HOST to the ISP's mail exchanger
(if you're using a master-config file, and generating sendmail.cf from a
local.mc file).  This will change the line starting with DS in sendmail.cf to
a proper value.  For instance, mine looks like:

    % grep ^DS /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
    DSmail.otenet.gr

and all outgoing mail is sent first to my ISP's mail gateway.  If it does have
a valid envelope-from address, then the ISP's mail server should not reject
it.  All others will see the SMTP connection coming from a host that doesn't
have a dynamic address (the ISP's mail gateway), and accept it.

This moves some of the burden of checking if this is a valid client from the
mail servers of the world, to the one your ISP has set up for its clients, and
is a very nice and clean solution to your problems :)

-giorgos