Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 00:32:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        William Wong <wwong@wiley.csusb.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best way to upgrade to 2.2.5-BETA?

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, William Wong wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Can cvsup be used to upgrade an existing machine to 2.2.5-snap_date-BETA?
> If so, is there also a list of the different tags on the cvsup sites that
> I know I can cvsup to?

As I understand it, there's only one tag for this branch: RELENG_2_2
It seems the cvsup repository is updated a few times a day.  What you'd
get from cvsup versus the beta might be a little different or it might
be identical.  It's really a question of whether you want to do a make
world and build the system yourself or whether you want to do an upgrade
with binaries.

If you use cvsup and get the sources, make sure /etc/group has a group
called network before you start--if it doesn't add:

network:*:69:

Either approach requires some attention to /etc, especially if you're
upgrading from 2.1.x and thus switching from /etc/sysconfig to
/etc/rc.conf.  If you have a custom kernel you probably have to
recompile it in both cases.

Annelise