Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 1995 15:32:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Release stability (fwd)

> From: Glen Foster <gfoster@osmre.gov>
>
> If I remember correctly, the CSRG releases were "odd number ==
> features added, even number == stable versions of the odd number"
> (actually, maybe it was the other way around :-).

In the old DEC world there was a three piece cycle that was followed
many times.  A feature release followed by a robustness release.  There
was also a performance release that followed the robustness release.

The focus was shifted during each release to concentrate on the
primary goal of that release.  Customers knew what to expect in
general terms.

We seem to be trying to do all three simultaneously and I don't think
its really possible to do.

You need a release just to purely fix bugs without having to deal with
new features.

You also need a release where you go back and look at those inefficient
new features that were put in.  Ok you have them working robustly now,
but can they be tuned up?

Continued thanks to the FreeBSD team for a fine piece of work.  I am
having lots of fun with it.  If it is unstable I have the source,
I have copies of the snaps, its my problem.  This is *different* from
the commercial OS where I don't have the source and it is still my
problem :-).  Been there - done that.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net