Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 10:55:57 +0100
From:      "John McLaughlin" <jmcl@ireland.com>
To:        Alex Boisvert <boisvert@exoffice.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PID of a forked process

	I've also used `jobs' under /bin/sh to do this as follows:

    #!/bin/sh

    some_command &

    echo " some_command run "
    job_pids `jobs`
    echo ${job_pids} | awk -- '{ print $2; }' > /tmp/some_command.pid
    kill -9 `cat /tmp/some_command.pid

	Or I guess you could replace the last two lines with:

    pid=`echo ${job_pids} | awk -- '{ print $2; }'`
    kill -9 $pid

John